Facilitation Tools: Wandering Flip Charts
'Wandering Flip Charts' is a good way for a large group of people to generate a high volume of ideas, in a short space of time.
This facilitation tool encourages participation by allowing people to discuss ideas in small groups before placing their ideas on flip chart for everyone to see.
- Place flip charts around the room (or blank sheets of paper on the wall) where everyone can see them - ideas are easily categorised by labelling the sheets.
- Have participants gather around flip charts that represent a topic they most feel comfortable with. This divides the room into a number of groups and allows people to start in their comfort zone.
- Allocated time to discuss ideas and document them on the flip chart.
- Move participants to a different flip chart. They can read the previous groups' ideas, before discussing them and adding their own contributions.
- Repeat the process until all participants have visited all flip charts.